1.10.2014

Make altars.


From a little reunion over break

“I like those scenes in the Bible where God stops people and asks them to build an altar. You’d think he was making them do that for himself, but I don’t think God gets much from looking at a pile of rocks. Instead, I think God wanted his people to build altars for their sake, something that would help them remember, something they could look back on and remember the time when they were rescued, or they were given grace.

But it’s like I said before, about writers not really wanting to write. We have to force ourselves to create these scenes. We have to get up off the couch and turn the television off, we have to blow up the inner-tubes and head to the river. We have to write the poem and deliver it in person. We have to pull the car off the road and hike to the top of the hill. We have to put on our suits, we have to dance at weddings. We have to make altars” - A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

In 2014 I want to build altars. Altar upon altar. I want to get out of my bed and do what is God is just waiting for me to experience, the things that He knows I will see His face in. We day-dream about things we want to do, we “pin” pictures of them or read about how other people did them or watch our friends do them. This year I will be the one to go, to make, to see… for myself and for God.

There is a reason I have these desires to do things that don’t go away, God planted them there. He knows that doing them will be good for me, probably really good for me. He knows that doing them will bless others, not because I am anything special, but because He uses His servants. He will love people through me. It is harder for the Lord to bless others through us when we just sit on the couch or stay inside all day long. So, I am walking out the door to see Him more. To create scenes in my life that will only reek of the Lord when I remember them. To be able to have moments to look back on and remember how full of laughter and grace and light this world is.

I made a list of the things I want to do this year. Some that are extremely doable, some that are a little out there, some that my mom freaked out about when she saw them, but all in all things that get me excited to live this precious life. I might not get them all done in 2014 necessarily, but I do not think that’s of the Lord’s concern.

I have a tangible copy of them above my desk but I want to write them here.
   
    Go on an overnight camping trip

Do something with Lazarus Ministry
Visit a new city
Take mom & dad out to dinner, on me
Buy someone’s groceries
Throw a couple of dinner parties
Have a picnic with friends
Write a letter to my brother
Serve somewhere in Athens
Write letters to Alexis & Laban
Pray for North Oconee
Become a member of Trinity Anglican Mission
Adventure in Athens with Abby
Buy stuff at an antique store for our house
Give blood
Donate my old books
Read 7 books
Send care packages to friends
Go on a day hike
Have dinner with Whitney & Calder
Have dinner with Christin & Sandor
Hang out with Mary Sims
See Emily Griesbeck
Memorize a scripture each month
Send granola to someone
Get a message
Blog at least 2x a month
See Cat Ryden
Make recipes from my cookbooks
Love on your Young Life teammates
Write anonymous notes for Chi O girls
Go skydiving
Rock climb outside
Make candles
Babysit for free
Go apple picking
See Bessie
Go on a day hike with Sarah Azain
Go someplace I’ve never been to around Athens
Be a JOE leader

No comments:

Post a Comment