12.12.2011

First Impression

What better way to greet you than with a batch of cookies? I figured it would make a pretty good first impression. Please correct me, if I am wrong.
Something that you will learn quickly is that I have a sweet tooth. Cookies usually fit the bill. Some days, I throw all cares to the wind and have a piece of pie or a bowl of ice cream. Other days, I want something that satisfies my sweet tooth but is a little on the lighter side. And that is what these cookies are for.
Apparently, I don't like my cookies to be all the same size

Chocolate Chip Almond Cookies: makes about 16 cookies
Gluten free and easily vegan if you swap the chips for carob. Soft and delicate with a crispy bottom. Perfectly sweet, with a hint of honey and coconut flavor. The chocolate chips are like little treasures hidden in the cookie pillow!

What you need:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup oat flour (ground from rolled oats)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
scant 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil (not melted)
2 T. honey
1/3 cup sucanat (can use brown sugar)
1 egg
chocolate chips (however many your heart desires)

To make:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk em' up.
Put sucanat and coconut oil into stand mixer, mix until sucanat is well combined (think creaming butter and sugar)
Add honey and egg. Mix until well combined.
Gradually add flour mix, now stirring to combine with spatula.
Mix in chocolate chips
Scoop out with spoon or mini ice cream scoop onto baking sheet (lined with parchment paper-optional)
Cook for 10-12 min. -edges should be brown and middles should be set


My parents gave me two thumbs up on these little guys! I hope you will too.
Here's to eating something lovely.
Cheers, Katie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment