12.23.2011

One of my favorite things... nuts.




Oh, how I love nuts- If you are giggling, then get your mind out of the gutter, this is a serious subject :)  I eat them every single day and usually more than once if it is a good day. It is hard to pick a favorite out of the category because they are all so different and delicious in their own way. Cashews and pecans tie for first place in my heart. Almonds take a close third. My favorite ways to eat nuts is toasted on top of salads, in the form of nut butters, and just plain roasted & salted! Some days I think I am eating too many nuts... but then I always tell myself nuts are full of good healthy fats, and you can always use more of those. (Which is probably not true, but hey! I could be eating way to many cheez-its or potato chips- so at least nuts are healthy in the first place) I always feel terribly sorry for people who are allergic to nuts, literally my heart hurts for them. And I always am terribly confused when people say they don't like nuts- that baffles me! So if you are one of those "nut-haters", I have a recipe for you today that might just turn you into a "nut-lover". And if that happens, let me know, so we can be nut-loving friends! Oh, and these are perfect for gift giving, if you can not eat them all before you gift them (trust me, its hard).

Rosemary & Brown Sugar Spiced Nuts
adapted from 101cookbooks

1 cup brown sugar
2 t. sea salt
1 or 2 t. rosemary, chopped
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 cup black and white sesame seeds, mixed
2 cups walnuts
2 cups almonds
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup dried figs chopped

1. preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. mix sugar and spices in a bowl
3. combine nuts, seeds, and figs in another bowl
4. whisk egg whites and add to sugar mixture, then add that to dry ingredients
5. spread out of parchment lined baking sheets, try to separate them as much as possible so they don't stick together
6. bake in oven for 25 minutes and don't stir.
7. let cool for 5 minutes then break apart and store in airtight container.

Enjoy,
Katie-barry

No comments:

Post a Comment