2.15.2012

Late night baking (scones)


I had been dreaming about making scones for a couple of days and seeing this recipe really convinced me that I would need to pull out some late night time in kitchen this week. So when my english teacher told me that we were having a "dream party" to celebrate the end of reading the super heavy book, The Trial, I knew it was my chance to whip up some scones.

I don't know what it is about scones that makes me feel so smiley and comfy. They come across as looking hard to make and all fancy cause they're a european delicacy at tea time. But the great thing is that they are actually quite rustic. They are easy to put together, totally customizable, and quite fun to make if you ask me. Homemaking them just makes me feel old time-y or maybe like a sophisticated baker? I don't know. All I can say is that I love how making scones, makes me a happier person and I put smiles on the faces of the people who ate them! Only expect more scones to be coming your way.



Thanks to the lovely Heidi Swanson for totally inspiring me to make this wonderful batch of Orange, Oat, and Currant Scones
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup kamut flour (or another cup of WW, or another flour that suites you fancy)
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 + 3/4 sticks of butter (preferably organic, if your into that kind of thing)
zest of 1 large orange
2 cups oats
1/2 cup currants (or however much your heart desires)
1+ cup of buttermilk (I needed a little more than a cup to bring my dough together)

whisk flours, b.powder, and b.soda together
cut COLD butter into slices, add to flour and use a pastry cutter to get butter into small pieces
stir in zest, currants, and oats
add buttermilk gradually stirring it in with your hands, use as much buttermilk you need to get dough to hold together so you can make 2 or 3 rounds
cut rounds into triangles
line a sheet pan with parchment, spread triangles across pan, and bake at 350 for 12-15 min (until sides are browned)

Everyone who ate one seemed to give me two thumbs up... one of my teachers told me it was the best scone he has ever had! That gives me reason enough to bake for others more often.


Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment