This is one of the most delicious things I have made at home in a long time. They are healthy, can be easily be vegan, super satisfying, and perfect for a comforting winter time meal. In short... You should make these, as soon as possible!
My inspiration and guidance for this recipe came from the lovely Angela. I just altered a couple of things for the enchiladas, but the avocado cream sauce is all hers and it is SO good.
Yields 8 enchiladas (8 servings)
What you need:
1 T. olive oil
1 sweet onion- chopped
3 garlic cloves- minced
2 small sweet potatoes (about 2 cups)- chopped
2 bell peppers- chopped
2.5 cups cooked black beans
1 big can of tomato puree (28 oz.)
1 can of Original Rotel (14 oz.)- drained
2 T. lime juice
1.5 t. cumin
1/2 - 1 t. chipotle chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
2 T. cocoa powder
2 T. cocoa powder
8 whole grain tortillas (I love the Food for Like Ezekiel kind)
cheddar cheese- optional
*note*- I like mine reasonably spicy, these had a good heat to them, but not overwhelming. My Mom is not big on spicy and she still enjoyed them. My Dad loves spicy and he thought they were spicy enough. I hope that helps!
1. Bring small pot of water to a boil, add chopped sweet potatoes, simmer for about 5-10 min, or until you can stick a fork into them
2. In a large pot, saute onion in oil over medium heat for about 5 min, until onions are translucent
3. Add garlic, peppers, and spices. Cook for another 5-7 min. on medium to low heat, until peppers are tender.
4. Cut the heat off and add cooked sweet potatoes, black beans, tomato puree, Rotel, and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. It will be saucy but not enough so that it looks like chili.
5. Get out two 9x9 baking dishes. Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pans. Fill each tortilla to the ends, wrap up and place each fold down. Put a layer of sauce on top of all the tortillas once they are filled. Top with shredded cheddar cheese if you wish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake covered at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.
6. Enjoy with the Avocado Cream Sauce on top or on the side!